By William Angus
18th March 2022
Say goodbye to avocado toast with this sustainable alternative that gives a fresh new brightness to the good old British pea.
Ingredients (1 large serving)
130g Frozen petit pois peas
25ml Standard olive oil
1 Garlic clove – Sliced
1/2 A lemon juiced
1/2 Lemon rind
A handful of parsley
A handful of chives
1 teaspoon arbol chilli flakes
25ml Extra virgin olive oil plus extra for dressing
Freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of salt
2 Slices stable bread such as homemade loaf or ciabatta
Dressing of choice
2 Dessert spoons of natural low fat yoghurt
A pinch of Black pepper
A pinch of arbol chilli flakes
Video Guide – Click Here!
- Weigh out 130g of frozen peas. Put your water, standard olive oil and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Peel and slice one clove of garlic.
- Add peas and garlic to boiling water and cook for 2 mins until tender but fresh, turning off the heat with the lid on to trap steam.
- While the peas are cooking, finely chop your parsley and chives. Reserve the parsley stems for adding to the pea mixture.
5. Drain the peas while reserving the cooking liquid.
6. Add pea mixture and parsley stems to a food processor, and pulse until a thick, coarse mixture forms.
7. Add pea mixture, herbs, lemon juice, lemon rind, extra virgin olive oil, chilli flakes and mix together in a bowl, slowly adding the cooking mixture until you get a spreadable consistency. (For those who prefer a slightly sweeter finish, consider adding honey or sugar at this stage).
8. Toast bread and drizzle with more olive oil, before assembling with the pea mixture and any toppings you desire. Enjoy!
View the video recipe here –